A question that young professionals and experienced career seekers ask me repeatedly:
“Should I join a small company or a large one?”
Other versions of the same question are:
- What is the risk of joining a small company?
- Why would anyone ever want to join a large corporation?
- Tell me how you decided to join that XYZ startup?
As with every common question in my life, I decided to write my answer in the form of a blog post 🙂
Here’s how you can use the above infographic:
- Review all the 12 attributes in the infographic and determine which ones are important/relevant to you
- Read the related description for small and large companies
- Every time you lean towards a small company, add a point to that column in the table (a simple mental table will suffice) and vice versa
- You add up the points for each column: Small Company or Large Company and voila, your destination should be clear!
For each of the attributes, we’ve also recommended what direction a student or professional should go based on our research & experience working with hundreds of career seekers and experts.
And here is all of this information captured in a boring, raw table format.
NOTE: This post was originally published on LinkedIn on March 24th 2015. Here is the link to the original post.